Galway Town Commissioners, Minute Books of
IDENTITY STATEMENT
Reference code: LA2
Title: Galway Town Commissioners, Minute Books of
Date(s): 1836-1899
Extent: 8 Volumes
Location: James Hardiman Library, NUI Galway
CONTEXT
Biographical History
The Galway Town Commissioners were established the under provisions The 1828 Act for the Improvement of Lighting in Towns. The Board of the Galway town Commissioners itself was established by the Galway Improvements Bill which was passed in Parliament in 1836. The Board took over all the local authority functions of Galway Corporation following the Corporation's abolition in 1840. The establishment of the Town Commissioners and the abolition of Galway Corporation represented the relegation in administrative terms of Galway to the status of a town. While arguably the 19th century was a period in which Galway was in relative decline it was also a period during which the city was 'modernized'. During the period in which The Board of the Galway Town Commissioners was in operation street lighting, running water, trams and later electricity and telephones were introduced to Galway. It was also the period during which a rail-link with the rest of the country was established, the Corrib navigation was built, The University was established and the race course at Ballybritt was laid out. The minutes contained in the bound volumes that comprise this collection reflect in large measure these improvements. The Board of the Galway Town Commissioners was directly involved in the construction and maintenance of some of these improvements, such as the water supply while it was also heavily involved in lobbying for other projects such as the railway and canal. There were a number of unsuccessful attempts to establish Galway as 'A Packet Station' for transatlantic shipping, the hope was that Galway could become 'A Liverpool for Ireland', this hope was partially based on the idea that a passengers and goods would reach London more quickly if they disembarked at Galway than traveled by rail to Dublin, caught a ferry to Wales and then traveled on to London by rail.
Immediate Source of Acquisition or Transfer
This collection was deposited at University College Galway Library by the Town Clerk of Galway Urban District Council on 9 September 1937.
CONTENT AND STRUCTURE
Scope and Content
Each volume contains minutes giving the date of meetings, attendance, correspondence and business transacted. Initially the Board of The Galway Town Commissioners met on a weekly basis, during in later periods it met less frequently. Earlier volumes contain lined pages, later volumes contain indexes and pre-formatted pages. The collection also contains two volumes of drafts of minutes. The volume or volumes covering the period May 1853-September 1862 is missing, according to a list which accompanied the initial deposit it was never deposited at the library. The vast majority of the information contained in the minute books relates to the day to day provision of the services which the Board was responsible for including the collection of tolls, the watch and the maintenance of roads and footpaths. The minute books also contain references to wider social and political events such as The Great Famine and The Land War. The pages of the volumes in this collection are in good physical condition, the covers of some of the volumes are very worn.
System of arrangement
The volumes which comprise this collection have been arranged in chronological order.
CONDITIONS OF ACCESS AND USE AREA
Conditions governing access
The material in this collection is available to all bone fide researchers and subject to the conditions of access governing the consultation of archival material at the James Hardiman Library. No material may be reproduced from this collection without the written permission of the archivist and reproductions are subject to the conditions of access. The most appropriate form of reference is title of item: date of item: reference number (LA2/?), James Hardiman Archives, NUI, Galway.
Finding aids
Descriptive List
Return to List of Deposited Collections





LA2/1 Scope and Content:Bound volume comprising the minutes of meetings of the Galway Town Commissioners. Each entry gives the date of the meeting, the attendance, the business transacted and correspondence, in a small number of instances transcripts of correspondence are included. The majority of resolutions and minutes refer to the maintenance and installation of street paving, the collection of tolls and the other civic improvements such as gas lighting. There are also some references to larger projects such as the enclosing of Eyre Square, the Corrib navigation scheme and the construction of a rail link between Dublin and Galway. There are also some reference to wider political events, such as the Repeal Movement. Meetings were generally held weekly on a Thursday, on occasion meetings were cancelled if a quorum was not present, meeting sometimes took place on other days of the week. Includes the minutes of the inaugural meeting of the Galway Town Commissioners, minute for the first meeting dated 6 July 1836 states 'M. D'Arcy stated that he had summons the commissioners in pursuance of a letter he received from A. H. Lynch Esq. M.P. announcing the passing of the local improvements bill, and the letter having been read.' The following are listed as having attended the meeting 'R.M. Lynch, James Joyce, John Gunning, James Flynn, John Atkinson, M. O'Brien, John Ireland, Edward Killeen, L.B. Burke, Patt Commings, James Lynch, M Lynch, E McDonnell, James Duggan, James Veitch, John Costello. Entry for the 5th October 1836 lists the election result for an election of Commissioners on the 29th and 30th of September. Francis Fitzgerald with 202 votes toped the poll, 21 Commissioners were elected. According to entry dated 13 March 1837 agreement was made between the town commissioners and the directors of The Galway Gas Company for 'putting up one hundred lamps to be kept lighting every night from one hour after sunset to one hour before sun rise for six hundred pounds per annum and one hundred pounds more on the following terms viz, the first 25 for £5 each, the 2nd 25 for £4 10s each, the 3rd 25 for £4 each, the last 25 for £3 10 each or the gas at eight schillings for 1000 cubic feet if we choose at any time to take it by meter....' According to entry dated 13 April 1837 the representative of Robert Hedges Eyre stated that Mr. Eyre 'was ready to give the Town Commissioners a lease of Eyre Square, a lease for lives renewable for ever at a rent of five schillings per annum. The Commissioners being bound in proper form to enclose the square with a handsome iron railing erected on a cut stone plynth and to keep it up as a garden....' Entry for 15th November 1837 states that 'The Secretary submitted, the Liverpool Bye Laws to enable them to adopt Bye-laws for the town of Galway and they have adopted the several laws....' Entry for 23 March 1843 states that the Town Commissioners 'do petition the legislature praying the repeal of the Act of Union between Great Britain and Ireland', the petition was to be forwarded to Daniel O'Connell Esq. M.P. for presentation to the House of Commons. Entry for 24 April 1843 includes a transcript of a letter dated 13 April 1843 from Daniel O'Connor, Merrion Square addressed to the Chairman of the Commissioners' Committee for the Repeal of the Legislative Union Between Britain and Ireland, O'Connell explains why he had not replied to a letter 'respecting the petition to parliament on the subject of repeal', O'Connell explains 'The reason I did not reply to his letter was this that it is utterly impossible I should answer all the letters I get everybody writing to me about everything'; he goes on to write that 'I wish most emphatically to distain any idea of slight or designed neglect of the Town Commissioners of Galway or to any of them....' Entry for 21 May 1844 includes a transcript of a letter from Robert Peel the Prime Minister. Peel writes 'I consider it to be clearly established that the navigation of Lough Corrib in the County of Galway is capable of improvement and that a navigable channel might be made from Lough Corrib to Galway Bay and between Galway Bay and Lough Mask....' According to the entry for 6 February 1845 a petition 'to her Majesty for the Establishment of a Provincial College in Galway' was adopted by the Town Commissioners. Entry for 27 March 1845 states that it was 'Resolved that our sectary be directed to convey to Stephen Ffrench Esq. M.P. the assurance of our heartfelt gratitude to him for his zealous and hitherto successful exertion to construct a rail between this town and the Metropolis.'
Date:6 July 1836 - 7 April 1845 Extent:c. 850 pp

LA2/2 Scope and Content:Bound volume comprising the minutes of meetings of the Galway Town Commissioners. Each entry gives the date of the meeting, the attendance, the business transacted and correspondence, in a small number of instances transcripts of correspondence are included. The first half is paginated pp1-522, the remainder of the pages contain text but are not paginated. The majority of entries concern activities of a number of committees created by the Town Commissioners. After the local elections on 27th September 1848 the following committees were created: The Watch Committee, The Advowson Committee, The Sweeping Committee, The Tolls Committee, Board of Works Committee and The Eyre Square Committee. The Advowson committee was responsible for the appointment of a person to hold a church office, the wardenship of this right was in the possession of the towns commissioners. Entry dated 21 May 1845 includes a tribute to Daniel O'Connell M.P. According to entry dated 14 August 1845 Mr. Blake was thanked by the Town Commissioners for his efforts to 'enlist with him as many noblemen and Gentlemen connected with Galway as he possibly can to influence the Irish Government to have one of the Colleges erected in Galway....' Entry for 2 October 1845 lists candidates elected to The Galway Town Commissioners, the candidates are listed in order of votes received. Entry for 23 October 1845 includes an entry which reads 'The Reverent W. Roche... Directed [the board's] attention to the state of the potato crops and the necessity of enquiring what might or could be done to avert the awful consequences with which the country was threatened to be visited.' Entry for 24 October 1845 includes a transcript of a letter from the Town Commissioners addressed to 'The Right Honourable, The Lord's Commissioners of Her Majesty's Treasury' alerting them to the 'frightful state of the community' as a result of the potato blight and appealing for a 'gratuity of grain'. According an entry dated 22 January 1846 a railway committee was formed one of the functions of the committee was to 'protect the rights of this Board as to the toll in goods coming to the town.' Entry for 2 April 1846 includes a transcript of a letter dated 31 March 1846 from James Hardiman addressed to The Town Commissioners relating to the petitioning of Parliament for a railway connection to Galway. According to dated 8 October 1846 a Mr. Kiernan appealed to the to the Town Commissioners to vote 'a sum of money for the purchase of potatoes with a view to selling them to the poor', a sum of £10 a week was voted for this purpose. According to entry dated 2 October 1846 a special meeting of the Commissioners proposed 'to provide to the population an immediate supply of Indian Corn at such a reasonable price as to place it within the reach of the poor.' Entry for 17 June 1847 includes two examples 'extreme destitution and suffering' recounted by the Chief of the Watch. In one case a woman was found lying in Abbeygate street in a state of exhaustion who later died at the gates of the poor house having been refused admission and in the other case a man was found in Buttermilk lane and brought to the watch house for shelter where he died after a few hours.' 'These were not the only cases of such suffering' known to the Chief of the Watch. According to a meeting of the Eyre Square Committee dated 15 June 1847 '...the officers of the 49th were in the habit of playing of playing cricket in the square and that it was alarming the ladies and children who frequented it.' According to entry for 2 March 1848 an attempt was made to 'suppress street begging' and it was proposed 'that a call be made on the inhabitants by advertisements from this board inform them of the arrangements made to prevent street begging, to withhold their alms and to report those that beg to the authorities. Entry for 11 May 1848 includes an address from The Galway Town Commissioners addressed to William Smith O'Brien M.P. and also a reply from O'Brien. Entry dated 6 July 1848 mentions the possibility of 'supplying the town with water'. Entry dated 26 April 1849 includes an acknowledgment by the Town Commissioners of the accuracy of report to the Lord Lieutenant by Colonel Sir Michael Creagh describing the conditions in the town. The report described the town as 'crowded with beggars full of misery and much neglected'. Entry dated 12 July 1849 includes a resolution expressing the Town Commissioners feeling towards the Reverend P Daly and others who 'successfully extended themselves to obtain £500,000 for the extension of a Railway' to Galway. Entry dated 21 November 1850 includes a list of designated markets, listing the produce available and location of the market, for example 'Butter, fowl and eggs market to be held in Lombard Street opposite the open space in front of the church railings.' Entry dated 29 May 1851 includes a proposal for a survey to be made 'of the space between the Killery Harbour and the heads of Lough Corrib with a view to having a canal made between the harbour and the lake. Entry dated 12 June 1851 includes proposal to host a reception for a party of Americans who were expected to arrive in the city by boat on their way to the Great Exhibition in London. The Town Commissioners were attempting to promote the idea of opening a packet station in Galway for direct passages to the United States, in a copy of a letter dated 18 August 1851 from George Mahon, Northampton address to the Reverend P Daly, Mahon expresses the hope that 'Galway may yet be the Liverpool of Ireland.' Entry dated 9 October 1851 in includes a statement of the dividends paid by the Galway Gas Company from 1838 to 1851, dividends range from £240 for 4% in 1838 to £900 for 15% paid in 1845. Entry dated 17 June 1852 includes resolution 'to write to the proper authorities to direct the police to remove all persons playing ball from public thorofares and public buildings.'
Date:10 April 1845 - 30 May 1853 Extent:c. 900 pp

LA2/3 Scope and Content:Bound volume comprising the minutes of meetings of The Galway Town Commissioners. Each entry gives the date of the meeting, the attendance, the business transacted and correspondence; in a small number of instances transcripts of correspondence are included. During the period covered by this volume a considerable amount of the board's business was devoted to the construction of a system of water works for the city. Entry dated 9 October 1862 states, in relation to an article published in the Galway Vindicator, 'That this board is of opinion that when it is attacked in a public newspaper in an unjustifiable manner either collectively or individually the Board or the individual is at liberty to repel the slander in the most effective manner possible.' According to entry dated 6 November 1862 the town surveyor Mr. Roberts was authorized to 'proceed with measures forthwith, and introduce a bill into Parliament of which the Galway Town Commissioners, shall be the promoters for supplying the town with water.' Entry for 7 October 1863 includes a copy of a letter from the Galway Town Commissioners addressed to His Excellency George William Frederick, Earl of Carlisle Lord Lieutenant General and General Governor of Ireland in which Town Commissioners express their 'unmixed satisfaction in the interest you have already manufactured to make Galway not a port of call but a permanent Packet station....' According to entry dated 15 December 1864 'The Town Steward reported Peter Duggan [a member of the watch] for being drunk on his beat on the morning of the ninth and it being the first offence and some mitigating circumstances he was reprimanded and restored.' Also includes a transcript of a letter dated 28 February 1865 from the town surveyor T.W. Roberts addressed to The Town Commissioners, the letter lists a number of properties in Galway city which were considered to be in a dangerous state, the list included building on Barrack Lane, Market Street, Cross Street, Kirwan's Lane, Quay Street, Custom House Street. According to entry dated 8 June 1865 Eyre Square should be 'open at all times to the public free of charge.' Entry for 22 June 1865 includes transcripts of letters from members of the public complaining about excessive charges being made for the transport of goods being made by The Midland and Great Western Railway Company. Entry for December 20th 1866 includes a transcript of a letter addressed to the Town Commissioners from The Marquis of Abercorn Lord Lieutenant General and General Governor of Ireland written in response to an address made by the Town Commissioners in relation to opening a packet station in Galway. Abercorn writes that 'I am aware of the great interest taken by the late Lord Eglinton in the establishment of an Atlantic Packet Station at Galway, and I believe that to mismanagement alone it owed that failure which I deeply deplore, I fully recognize the loyal and peaceful conduct that has always been displayed by your large sea-faring population, and I feel the great importance of attracting the youth of your Western Coast.' According an entry dated 31 December 1868 'Mr. Kirwan Submitted a copy of a petition to Her Most Gracious Majesty which he stated had been very generally adopted in other places and moved that it should be adopted by this board praying for the release of Political Prisoners and Mr. Fahy having Seconded.' According to entry dated 20 May 1869 'Lord St.Laurence was introduced and stated that he was anxious to promote the interests of Galway in every way in his power, and he was glad to tell the Commissioners that he had succeeded with the kind aid of Mr. J.W. Lynch in laying out a Race Course close to the town and hoped there would be good running there this summer which would greatly advance Galway as a bathing place.' Entry dated 18 February 1870, includes a report on the waterworks compiled by the town surveyor Mr. Roberts. Entry dated 27 April 1870 includes a list of 'persons using water...for other than domestic purposes' Each entry in the list includes the following fields 'No', 'Name of Owner', 'Situation', 'For what purpose given', 'Annual Amt. to be charged', 'Date on which supply was given', 'Months', 'Amt. due up to 1 March 1870'. The vast majority of individuals listed are described as publicans. Entry for January 1871 includes detailed reports from The Tolls Committee and The Sanitary Committee. Entry dated 16 February 1871 states that 'leave be given to have a bonfire in the markets place on the occasion of Sir Arthur Guinness marriage with Lady Mary White.' Entry dated 16 March 1871 reports that 'Lord St.Laurence took the liberty of bringing to the notice of the meeting a subject that might prove of considerable importance to the trade of Galway at some future period viz. the export of sea fish inland to Dublin and England.' Lord St.Laurence went on to argue that the tariff charged by the railway company would have to be reduced for this to happen.
Date:11 September 1862 - 4 July 1872 Extent:c. 1000pp

LA2/4 Scope and Content:Bound volume containing drafts of the minutes for meetings of the Galway Town Commissioners, the final version of the minutes of the meetings for the period are contained in LA2/3, LA2/6. Handwriting is very untidy, some amendments and marginalia.
Date:7 May 1868-October 1873 Extent:c. 300 pp

LA2/5 Scope and Content:Bound volume containing drafts of the minutes for meetings of the Galway Town Commissioners, the final version of the minutes of the meetings for the period are contained in LA2/6. Handwriting is very untidy, some amendments and marginalia.
Date:5 December 1872 - 15 July 1875 Extent:c. 350pp

LA2/6 Scope and Content:Bound volume comprising the minutes of meetings of the Galway Town Commissioners. Each entry gives the date of the meeting, the attendance, the business transacted and correspondence; in a small number of instances transcripts of correspondence are included. Printed statements of the commissioners accounts, advertisements for tenders and other official statements are glued onto a number of pages of the volume. During this period the ability of the Town's Commissioners to carry out improvements was effected by the fact that the body owed a considerable debt to the gas company. Entry dated 18 June 1872 reports that 'the cases of the violation by the victuallers of the town slaughtering sheep in their shops and dwellings and also to the necessity of adjudicating promptly on sanitary cases some of which it appears have been suffered to lie over since April last. According to report dated 30 September 1872 it was 'resolved that in as much as we see no other practical way of getting out of debt with the Gas Company they having intimated their intention of increasing the cost of each lamp by two pound per annum and our total inability to effect any improvement in the town while this debt is hovering over us that we feel ourselves constrained to extinguish the public lamps. According to a statement in an entry dated 8 November 1872 the Town Commissioner and the gas company agreed 'that 79 lamps are to be lighted at the rate of £4 per lamp per lamp per annum for the usual hours of the late contract except five nights at full moon. The Commissioners may if they so decide turn off the lamp the summer months ...' Entry dated 1 April 1873 includes a report of the burial committee which was formed in response to an act of parliament which called 'for the Suppression of burials in towns', the committee was investigating the possibility of starting new burial grounds at various sites. According to entry dated 29 May 1873 'Mr. Semple called attention to the bathing place at Salthill concluding by moving that a committee should be now appointed to consider and report upon its state and how it might be improved....' Transcript of a letter dated 16 August 1873 from The Galway Town Commissioners addressed to The Local Government Board explaining the 'difficulty they have met in their endeavours to carry out the Sanitary Act in this town and neighbourhood'. The letter goes on to explain the problems that the Town Commissioners were having in making viticulturists used a designated slaughter house, it is explained that even thought it is prohibited to slaughter sheep and cattle anywhere other than the slaughter house, 'in the last week, though the town has been crowded to an unprecedented degree, and at least 300 sheep must have been slaughtered, only 4 died in the slaughter house, proving that 296 at least suffered by night in narrow and ill-ventilated places where blood and offal poison the atmosphere in their putrefaction and give rise to all infectious disease.' According to entry dated 25 June 1874 'The Claddagh bridge is in a very unsafe state, the footways are very unsafe. The traffic on them should be stopped. The road may still be left open to foot passengers.' Entry dated 22 October 1874 includes a Memorial of the Town Commissioners of Galway to The Local Government Board Ireland. In the memorial the Town Commissioners complain of their inability to carry out their duties because of the financial state of the body, according to the memorial 'The Town Commissioners would ask the local Government Board to have a clause inserted in the provisional order already issued granting them borrowing powers and authorizing the Public Works Loan Commissioners to lend a sum of £3000 to clear off the debt due to the Galway gas company.' According to entry dated 3 January 1876 'it was represented to some members present that the mace and sword belonging to the old Corporation of Galway was in the possession of Mr. West Jeweler Dublin and about being disposed of or melted down....' they resolved to contact Mr. West by telegraph and stop him from disposing of them. According to entry dated 29 June 1876 'The Chairman drew the attention of the Board to the Prisons Bill at present before Parliament and to the importance of having a District Prison at Galway.' An entry dated 6 July 1876 reads 'Read letter from the Irish temperance league enclosing circular to the English and Scotch M.P.s requesting their support to the second reading of Professor Smyth's Sunday Closing bill.' Entry dated 2 March 1877 states that 'The Chairman's letter was again read and the secretary laid before the meeting the plan of the proposed tramways indicating the streets thru which the double line was to run and after some consideration the following resolution was unanimously adopted, and the secretary to foreword same to town representatives.' Entry dated 29th November 1877 expresses 'The marked thanks of this board be tendered to Colonel Bagot and the officers and men of the brigade depot for their exertions in extinguishing the fire that took place on the 20th inst. in William street.' The same entry reports that Colonel Bagot complained that their were insufficient fire hydrants in Galway. According to entry dated 18 July 1878 'A committee of the Cricket Club waited on the board and asked permission to play in the square it was decided by a majority of the board to [allow] them the square free of charge to play on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays after 4 o'clock.' Entry dated 11 September 1879 includes a transcript of a letter from W. J. O'Malley Artist, Cross St., Galway addressed to J. Redington, Secretary, Galway Town Commissioners. O'Malley writes 'I have the honor of presenting a portrait of the late Charles French Blake-Forster J.C. painted by me which I trust the Galway Town Commissioners will accept.' Entry dated 7 May 1880 states that 'a report was read from the Borough Surveyor stating that he had procured a few of the tablets containing the names of some of the streets of the town, which he had placed in conspicuous places in the streets according to their respective name, he recommends that similar tablets be purchased for the remainder of the streets.'
Date:18 July 1872 - 19 May 1881 Extent:c.1000 pp

LA2/7 Scope and Content:Bound volume containing drafts of the minutes for meetings of the Galway Town Commissioners. The minute book is a custom printed book which includes structured folios with headings for each meeting. Includes A-Z index. Each folio contains the following printed headings 'Minutes of Proceedings of the Galway Town Improvement Commissioners at their Monthly Meeting held on Thursday...', 'Present' , 'No.1 Account', 'No.2 Account', 'Reports of Committees read and disposed of as follows, namely:-' , 'The following Special Business came before the Meeting'. In many instances extra pages are attached which contain more information relating to Special Business, in some instances printed material from newspapers is also attached to the minute book. Meeting were usually held on the first Thursday of every month, extra meetings were held periodically. According to entry dated 27 July 1881 'the Galway Town Improvement Commissioners at a special meeting held this day, having heard the application on behalf of the promoters of the Galway, Oughterard, and Clifden steam tramway to construct a line from Galway to Clifden, do hereby Express our approval of said undertaking...' Addition to entry dated 5 January 1882 reads 'A report was read from Mr. Somerville Borough Surveyor in reference to the Claddagh bridge, he submitted two designs for the reconstruction of this bridge, one for an iron lattice girder bridge with Arch plates, the other for a stone bridge of three Arches with about a Span of fifty feet each, he estimated the cost of the former bridge at £1070, and the latter at £771.' Entry dated 26 January 1882 notes the Commissioners support for a resolution passed by Cork Council 'calling upon Government to release Mr. Parnell, Mr. Dillon and other suspects at present imprisoned under the coercion act.' According to entry dated 5 July 1883 'James M. Campbell moved on his notice of motion that a sum of money be borrowed from The Board of Works for the construction of a bridge at the Claddagh', however 'there being no authority to borrow for a work of this nature the motion fell through and it was resolved to take the necessary steps to procure a provisional order for the necessary authority to borrow.' According to entry dated 3 January 1884 the following resolution was unanimously carried 'That the board respectfully request the Lord Lieutenant to withdraw the prohibition for the holding of Fairs and Markets in this locality as the district is quite free from the foot and mouth disease....' Entry dated 27 August 1885 contains details of tenders accepted for road building the municipal area. Each item in the list details the road in question the distance and the price, for example between the canal bridge at the Queen's College and the municipal boundary near bushy park, John Lynskey, 578 perches @ 2/8 half per perch, per annum. Entry dated 3 November 1887 includes the following resolution 'that we the Galway Town Commissioners protest against the savage brutality of the Police, the illegality of the sentence of the recorder of Cork Mr. Hamilton and the villainy of the Tory Government in connection with the arrest and imprisonment of that intrepid and fearless defender of the tenantry and the cause of Ireland William O'Brien M.P....' According to entry dated 26 July 1888 'Tuesday 2 August 1888 being "Race" day the meeting was adjourned to 9th August 1888.'
Date:2 June 1881-2 October 1890 Extent:237 ff

LA2/8 Scope and Content:Bound volume containing drafts of the minutes for meetings of the Galway Town Commissioners. The minute book is a custom printed book which includes structured folios with headings for each meeting. Includes A-Z index. Each folio contains the following printed headings 'Minutes of Proceedings of the Galway Town Improvement Commissioners at their Monthly Meeting held on Thursday...', 'Present' , 'No.1 Account', 'No.2 Account', 'Reports of Committees read and disposed of as follows, namely:-' , 'The following Special Business came before the Meeting'. In many instances extra pages are attached which contain more information relating to Special Business, in some instances printed material from newspapers is also attached to the minute book. Meeting were usually held on the first Thursday of every month, extra meetings were held periodically. This volume is used both for the minutes of the Galway Town Commissioners and the Galway Urban District Council, Galway Urban District Council took over the functions of the Town Commissioners following the Local Government (Ireland) Act which was passed in 1898. Although this volume may be regarded as one physical item for the purposes of arrangement and description it is treated as two items and a description of the relevant section is includes in the finding aid for the Galway Urban District Council Collection (LA4). According to entry dated 26 March 1891 'The Question of the wires of the Galway Electric Company came on for the consideration of the Board, every member having been duly notified, and M McDougall proposed and M O'Sullivan seconded that we report to the board of trade that no accident of any kind has occurred with the overhead wires at present in Galway.' According to entry dated 18 February 1892 the 'Midland Company intended to supply themselves with water from Newcastle by running a line of pipes to their station at Galway...' it was resolved by the Town Commissioners that the 'secretary direct Mr. Blake at once to communicate with Mr. Bell parliamentary Agent, to lodge a petition on the part of the Commissioners to oppose the Bill in the interests of the town of Galway with which the proposed work will interfere in annihilating the water supply to the town.' Entry dated 3 March 1892 states 'read letter from...Dublin Corporation references to Irish Exhibits at the coming "World's Fair" Chicago. Secretary was directed to communicate the contents to W. Persse, the jute factory and other manufacturers in the town.' According to entry dated 6 October 1892 'W. Duggan for the Telephone Co. of Ireland waited at the Board and asked for liberty to erect poles required for the use of a proposed telephone exchange for Galway ordered to convene a special meeting to consider the question.' Entry dated 2 February 1893 states that 'A discussion arose on the subject of the broken stones supplied to the town through the jail. M. J. O'Sullivan stated he objected to this means of obtaining metal and stated he would give notice that a contract be entered for the purpose.' Entry dated 10 August 1893 states that 'the consideration of the letter from the National Education Board, on the subject of appointing a local Education Committee came before the Board. The Secretary having read the Irish Education Act 1892 to the Board by which it appeared that it was imperative on the Commissioners to appoint a Committee. According to entry dated 5 march 1896 Mr. M A. Lynch moved that 'six wooden seats be procured and placed along the promenade at Salthill.' According to entry dated 5 February 1897 'On consideration of the application of the Galway Electronic Company for a provisional order from the Board of Trade, W. Perry came before the board and stated that if the Commissioners insisted on the insertion in the schedule to the proposed provisional order of Salthill he would be unable to float his company but that if the Commissioners would waive the insertion of Salthill in the schedule he would on the part of his company undertake to extend the electric light mains to this locality after a short time.
Date:6 November 1890 - 31 December 1898 Extent:140 ff